Volkswagen e-Up! Forum

It is currently Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affect of heating on battery power/range
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:18 pm 

I'm curious about the heating of the vehicle in cold weather, and how that will affect the overall range of the Volkswagen e-Up! electric vehicle.

There is the cabin heat, the windshield heater, and also optional heated seats, so I think the current draw would be quite significant while having all systems running.

Oh, and I am happy to be on the e-Up! forum :)

Post subject: Re: Affect of heating on battery power/range
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 am 

Winter hits EV range badly. I think VW are using resistive heaters, which suck up the battery range considerably. (Renault Zoe and Leaf >2013 have reverse cycle heat pump systems, so are more efficient in winter, -10C to 10C).

It is not just the heater that saps range. Air is more dense at 0C, and it is noticeable. Because EVs are so efficient, you notice inefficiencies that would be swamped by petrol engined cars' inefficiencies. Also, water on the road is a big drain on EV range, again something you'd not really notice with wasteful petrol/diesel cars.

You can easily half your EV range in winter. This shouldn't really be a big surprise because you waste more than a half of your petrol when you burn it as heat, which can be used to heat your car up, so if you want your EV to be that wasteful then, yeah, you can easily throw away as much energy into heating the cab as driving the wheels because this is what other cars do!

And there's still worse to come! The battery itself is less efficient in the cold. It also can't provide as much power, and it can't be charged as quickly. Winter is BAD for EVs, it is not their optimum environment for use by a long way! You may be better off parking up your EV for winter and going back to a nicely warm petrol car for the coldest months!